The key to making a great kale salad is to marinate the kale in whatever dressing you decide to use. The process of marinating softens the kale leaves which makes them a really enjoyable alternative to other green salad or vegetable leaves.
- A large handful of whole leaf kale
- 1/4 small red onion
- 1/2 an avocado
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- 1 whole small beetroot
- Small handful walnuts (I soak these overnight in water)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp whole grain mustard
- 1-2 tsp raw honey or maple syrup to taste
- A few sprigs fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- chopping board
- sharp knife
- small hand whisk or fork
- bowl, lidded jar
- serving plate
- Make the dressing by whisking all the dressing ingredients together in a bowl. Pour into a lidded jar to store in the fridge until later.
- Wash the kale thoroughly in cold salty water, rinse and dry. Cut out the stem running along each leaf and discard. Then chop the kale into bite-sized pieces.
- Place your kale into a bowl & drizzle over half the dressing. Massage the dressing into the kale leaves. This sounds weird but it's going to help to soften the kale and also acts as a marinade.
- Leave the kale marinating for 15 minutes.
- While this is happening slice the red onion very thinly (no-one really likes big bits of raw onion do they?).
- Half or quarter the cherry tomatoes to your liking.
- Spiralize the beetroot and dice the avocado.
- Place the kale on your plate & sprinkle over the rest of the ingredients. Top with walnuts.
- Drizzle over a little more dressing to taste before serving.